[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 16 20:53:39 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wjhonson" <wjhonson at aol.com>
To: <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

> Quote: "Then you are misunderstanding the meaning of the word
> 'educational' I think. "
>
> Perhaps the word you want is "academic".

No I meant 'educational'.  I'm actually quite shocked by some of the things
being said in this thread, and that the people who have said them are
running Wikipedia.
Does anyone else, apart from these two, have any views on what they have
said?  The WMF goal is about "collecting and developing educational
content".  Does that mean 'education' in the sense I have characterised it?
I.e. bringing to the public subjects that are generally not ephemeral or
trivial, and which are enduring and a monument to the human spirit, and
generally noble and good, in a way that is interesting and accessible?

I would be interested in other people's views.