[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mirrors

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 10:44:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Aude <aude.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Surely there are third parties with such experience and interested in
> this. [...] Surely google has or should have copy?

It would be interesting to know what Google has. I recently began a
new article and was stunned to see that Google had indexed, given a
high ranking to, and (IIRC) had a cache of the article within the day.

I'm not technical, so I speak from ignorance, but I imagine they
wouldn't have article histories.

The notion that Wikipedia was currently vulnerable to data loss had
honestly never occurred to me; I thought that the reference sites that
use our content meant that back-ups are ubiquitous. You've all given
me the fear.