[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mirrors

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 01:52:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Osama Khalid <osamak at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:00:38AM +1000, John Vandenberg wrote:
>> A mirror system would be great; that is how project gutenberg, linux
>> and sf.net do disaster recovery.  It is simple, cheap and effective.
>
> What about history data and other logs? I'm afraid that mirrors may
> not be the best way to copy all of them.

We would need to mirror the database dumps available from

http://dumps.wikimedia.org/backup-index.html

The toolserver (run by the German chapter) has a 'live' copy of the
databases, so that would likely be the first recovery option.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Toolserver

Is the toolserver database missing any data which would be needed to
reconstruct a wikimedia project, other than the images?

The main potential problem with a replicated copy, like the
toolserver, is that it can replicate the problem that occurred on the
primary database.

--
John Vandenberg