[Foundation-l] Announcing GLAM-WIKI:UK

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:02:24 UTC 2010

Dear WikimediaUK, Cultural Partnerships & Foundation-l mailing lists,

On behalf of Wikimedia UK I am pleased to formally announce the second
edition of the GLAM-WIKI conference - this time to be held in London at the
British Museum on the 26th and 27th of November. The purpose of this
conference is to bring the UK and European GLAM sector [gallery, library,
archive & museum] into direct conversation with the Wikimedia community so
we can build a better understanding of our common purpose - sharing culture
- and how to assist each to best do that. After all, we are here for the
same reason, for the same people, in the same medium so we might as well do
it together :-)

As the British Museum will be generously hosting this event, and today marks
the anniversary of the deciphering of the Rosetta Stone (hence today's
Feature Article on the English Wikipedia), we thought it would be an
auspicious time to declare that registration is now open. The registration
price for Wikimedians is £20.

You can read all the details at:
*http://glamwiki.org* <http://glamwiki.org>
and the WM-UK blogpost just published:
http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2010/09/announcing-registration-now-open-for-glam-wikiuk-at-the-british-museum/

Wikimedia France will be hosting edition three of GLAM-WIKI one week later
in December at the *Assemblée nationale* in Paris, and Wikimedia Australia
hosted edition one last year at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, so
we're in good company.

Keynote speakers at this conference will be:

   - Author, activist, blogger and London local *Cory
Doctorow<http://craphound.com/>
   *
   - Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation *Sue
Gardner<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Sue_Gardner>
   *
   - Director of the Columbia University copyright advisory office *Dr.
   Kenneth Crews<http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/about/director-and-staff/>
   *

And many other presenters besides! Some are already listed on the conference
page and many more will be announced by
@wikimediaUK<http://twitter.com/wikimediauk>

Wikimedians from the UK and further afield are invited to register for this
conference. If you are in contact with professionals in the GLAM sector,
please mention this event to them too. Moreover, if you would like to come
and moderate a session please write to me directly with your proposed
session.

If you have any questions you can write to me privately, leave them on the
event's talkpage or reply on the mailing list.

Sincerely,
Liam [[witty lama]]

Convener, GLAM-WIKI:UK & Wikipedian in Residence, British Museum
wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata