[Foundation-l] Call for a moratorium on all new software developments

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 6 12:11:37 UTC 2010

On 6 September 2010 11:33, Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> * The developpers have enabled for every Admin of the French
> Wikipedia, the possibility to mask (and exert acts of censorship)
> without needing to be an oversighter (1) Which means that the policy
> page at [[:fr:Wikipédia:Masqueur d'adresses IP]] (more or less the
> same as [[:en:Wikipedia:Oversight]]) is a joke. Every single admin has
> virtually the same power as an oversighter.

Um, if you're talking about being able to delete individual revisions,
that was a looooong requested feature. In fact it was achievable
before by deleting the entire page, then undeleting every revision
except those you wanted gone. This was commonly done where needed, at
least on the English Wikipedia, long before the concept of
"oversighter" existed.

Now the same thing is done using the RevisionDelete system, introduced
in 2009, which I assume is what you are talking about. Its use by
admins is different from "oversight", because the revision content is
still visible to admins, and the presence of a revison is still
visible - even to non-admins.

Of course if you can demonstrate a consensus on the French Wikipedia
to change the user rights setup, and file a bug, I'm sure the
developers will act on that. But bear in mind the same thing is
possible as long as admins have the ability to delete/undelete.

Pete / the wub