[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation switching to Google Apps?

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 23:32:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Zugravu Gheorghe
<zugravu.gheorghe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27.10.2010 01:15, Jon Davis wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 15:02, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Erik Moeller, 26/10/2010 23:01:
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>

>> All things considered, I like Thunderbird, but it has two main issues for
>> us.
>>
>> #1 - No integrated & centralized calendar.
> What about the Sunbird/Lightning extension for the Thunderbird. I think
> that the number of manipulation to setup them will be the same with the
> amount of setup for Google Calendar.

It just _does not_ work. I use Gmail only for lists, Thunderbird for
every other email. But calendaring in TB is just buggy as hell. And
I've been trying for years, being the Mozilla fan that I am. It never
really gets better :( So google calendar it is.

> And as a small comment: Thunderbird is free (as in freedom) application
> and allows to do whatever manipulation with the code (and there are a
> bunch of thunderbird customization already available there) - thus if
> there is a need this need can solved by the community. - And Wikimedia
> could make a call for improvements in the code of TB, which I believe
> would have be taken into consideration by the developers. And more
> people could have used the results of that - thus generating a better
> and smoother application (as in the wikipedia articles).

+1. I really think Wikimedia should poke the Mozilla Foundation on that ;).

Delphine
(prêchant pour sa paroisse)

--
@notafish