[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation switching to Google Apps?

Zugravu Gheorghe zugravu.gheorghe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 23:02:44 UTC 2010

On 27.10.2010 01:39, David Gerard wrote:
> On 26 October 2010 23:35, Zugravu Gheorghe <zugravu.gheorghe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And as a small comment: Thunderbird is free (as in freedom) application
>> and allows to do whatever manipulation with the code (and there are a
>> bunch of thunderbird customization already available there) - thus if
>> there is a need this need can solved by the community. - And Wikimedia
>> could make a call for improvements in the code of TB, which I believe
>> would have be taken into consideration by the developers. And more
>> people could have used the results of that - thus generating a better
>> and smoother application (as in the wikipedia articles).
>

> It is indeed theoretically possible to make Thunderbird as good as
> Gmail and Google Calendar. In practice, no-one's managed to do so in
> six years, despite quite a lot of effort. This suggests that although
> possible, it may not in fact be feasible.
>
> The necessary condition for a move to Thunderbird instead would be an
> existence proof, i.e. a build that is as useful a tool as the Google
> tools. Which, note, are not even proper applications, but browser
> pages.
>

> - d.

I would say that Thunderbird got a lot of improvements since v1, and
there is still a lot to do with the code. As an example of customization
I can bring this example (http://www.synovel.com/collab/components) but
I believe there are many more of such ones.

Anyway since there was taken a decision, I guess that the IT people had
made the best choose in order to satisfy all the folks.

regards,
/gheorghe