[Foundation-l] Paid editing, was Re: Ban and moderate

Robert S. Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Oct 25 22:56:45 UTC 2010

On 10/25/2010 02:05 PM, George Herbert wrote:

> General agree.  I do back of the envelope spacecraft mission planning
> with Wikipedia sources when on the road and away from my professional
> tools, and back of the envelope structural design with Wikipedia
> materials properties when similarly away from professional sources,
> but I know what I'm getting there and always go look up proper values
> if the BOTE work proceeds anywhere.  In some cases, I put the
> structural and astrodynamics data into Wikipedia in the first place,
> looking at the CRC, astronomical handbooks, and engineering data from
> manufacturers.
>
> The risk here is that amateurs don't do spacecraft navigation or
> structural design much.  They do - as a rule - take mediations and
> have medical conditions.  In that sense, Wikipedia medical information
> is much more of an "attractive nuisance" to the uninformed...

There is the issue of what I like to call "amateur pharmacology", other
wise known as "drug experimenters".  This is an issue I addressed some
time ago with the "Drugs:Fact and Fiction" Wikibook:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Drugs:Fact_and_Fiction

Essentially those who try to act as their own pharmacist without any
formal training and choosing deliberately to "experiment" with various
drugs (including "illegal drugs"), do so at significant risk to
themselves and to those close to them as well.  Those who use Wikimedia
projects for dosing information or as a textbook as it were to
self-administer these substances without the proper training is in for a
huge surprise and will likely hurt themselves or those who they try to
offer these kinds of drugs.

Something significant here too is that these folks sometimes wrap
themselves up in the concept of "scientific research" but there is no
attempt to record the results, study the literature to see what has
happened before, or to publish findings.  Science in this case has as
much to do with what is going on as a real "laboratory" has anything to
do with a "Meth lab".

I could name other kind areas of scientific research where rank amateurs
certainly would not generally be welcome, like an amateur nuclear energy
researcher or amateur explosives testing.  Again, it is the same thing
in terms of somebody engaging in a potentially dangerous activity where
if they don't take precautions and try to at least learn something
substantial about the topic first... something you don't get from an
encyclopedia.

It doesn't matter if you are doing these things out of curiosity, they
are simply dangerous.  I know of amateurs who do get into rocketry, and
some of them have proposals to build vehicles that could get to orbital
velocities.  Still, you aren't going to get the information to build
these vehicles from information found in Wikimedia projects... except
perhaps references that will point you to more proper sources of
information that will be useful.

-- Robert Horning