[Foundation-l] Paid editing, was Re: Ban and moderate

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 19:47:47 UTC 2010

On 23/10/2010 15:15, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 10/23/2010 3:40:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk writes:
>

>> OK this is going to be controversial but have you ever considered taht
>> maybe you shouldn't have anything on Atorvastatin other than what comes
>> as the medical advice in the packaging? One cannot provide any useful
>> advice on whether someone should use the drug or not that should be
>> between the patient and their doctor. I mean its not as if wikipedia is
>> an expert pharmacopeia as wikipedia doesn't have experts weighing the
>> evidence one way or the other, all you can do is mimic the day to day
>> controversy which of its very nature is going to be conflict ridden.
>>
>> If there are still any pretensions of being encyclopaedic here then any
>> such articles should only be written once the conflict has been resolved.
>>
>> Example here is the MMR article from one period in 2004:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MMR_vaccine&oldid=6127791
>>
>> any parent reading that article at that time is highly unlikely to have
>> opted for the vaccine. Or take the final paragraph here:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MMR_vaccine&
>> oldid=6127791#The_MMR_controversy
>>
>> adding every rumour, statement, or innuendo that someone somewhere in
>> the world might have once said, however wrong, is unencyclopeadic. It is
>> certainly not without consequences. How many children were made ill by
>> those paragraphs?
>> http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/vaxpictures/measles3.htm
>> http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/vaxpictures/measles1.htm
>> http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/vaxpictures/mumps1.htm
>> http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/vaxpictures/mumps2.htm
>> http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/vaxpictures.htm>>
>>

> Why would you make such outrageous statements and expect any result here?
> On what space have you been slumming where people add "every rumour,
> statement or innuendo that someone somewhere in the world might have once said"?
> Please tell me, I'm dying to know.  I mean I'm really dying.

    Controversy has arisen because some scientists and parents
    claim that the vaccine may be linked to the development of
    a number of conditions, such as autism, bowel disorders such
    as Crohn's disease, and the brain disorder Creutzfeldt-Jakob
    disease (CJD).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MMR_vaccine&oldid=6127791#The_MMR_controversy