[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Editing is project number 832465

James Alexander jamesofur at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 20:52:02 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> Here's a new job offered on Freelancer.com:
>
> "Description
> Wikipedia writer needed for historic building/hotel in a major city. The
> wikipedia page already exist but it is not too detailed to reflect its
> rich history.
>
> There are lots of widely published articles about it so it shouldn't be a
> difficult task. A longer article with detailed research and quality work
> is important.
>
> All sources must be referenced correctly according to Wikipedia
> guidelines so that it would not be rejected. An experienced Wikipedia
> writer is a plus!
>
> Please reply with your experience and show me your writing samples if
> posible. "
>

> http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Research-Technical-Writing/Wikipedia-Editing.html
>
> Is this an acceptable project? How should someone who gets this contract
> handle it?
>
> Fred
>

> I know not everyone agrees with me but something like this is, in my
opinion, not problematic at all. The issue with paid or COI editing is that
it makes it harder to be neutral and follow the policies and standards that
the project(s) have created. Those who are able to do it within those
policies do nothing other then helping us to increase and expand the content
that we have. If they are able to do it then thumbs up.

If they can do it is of course up for debate at times but I don't think
there is anything bad about letting them try.

James

--
James Alexander
jamesofur at gmail.com