[Foundation-l] Ban and moderate

Muhammad Yahia shipmaster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:27:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:54 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 October 2010 08:19, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
>
> > If you are counting votes, please count mine for moderation.
>

> +1
>
> Seriously, this list is commonly referred to as "troll-l" and lots of
> chapter people refuse to even look at it. Pulling it out of the mire
> might make it even slightly useful again.

+1 from me too.

I would also like to add that labeling someone a troll doesn't necessarily
mean that he doesn't provide good criticism, it's just that he presents it
in the most time consuming and destructive way possible. I am personally
interested in some of the criticism Kohs put forward, but I am against his
tactics.

We had a troll on ar.wp who was pretty similar in tactics, it took months of
debate about freedom and censorship etc. and a few good editors actually
quitting before we banned him. And it took a few more months of
sock-puppeting for him to actually give up, and looking back at this
humongous waste of the time for all parties involved, I wonder if the couple
of points he was making were even worth it, we do have people who are
capable of presenting criticism in a civil manner, so it's not about
'opinion'. I believe WP:POINT and WP:GAME should apply to any medium we are
trying to constructively work together.

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia