[Foundation-l] Attack pages at Encyc. Dramatica

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 15:18:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:44 PM, James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Encyc. Dramatica seems too take pride in creating attack pages regarding
> Wikipedians. Of course they are exposing themselves to libel suits but
> looking at some of the rest of their site this seems to be the least of
> their worries with a great deal of racist content as well as underage
> pornography.
>
> Wondering if we have any measures available to deal with these attacks
> against Wikipedia? Or have others who have considered this issue feel that
> attempting anything would 1) be futile 2) just promote the creation /
> promotion of more such content.

Well, Encyclopedia Dramatica is a special sort of case that seasoned
veterans of the Internet recognize, and is probably best described as
satire taken to (or even beyond) an extreme (a la 4chan).  It may not
always be appreciated, but ED editors generally aren't writing with
malice, and if they are it's so absurd that nobody really gets hurt
over it.

Hell, I'm on ED, and I'm not filing a libel suit.  If they violate
local laws, that's up to those government agencies to enforce, but if
Wikimedians were go go on a crusade against them I think you'd wind up
with #2.

Austin