[Foundation-l] Greg Kohs and Peter Damian

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 20 17:49:53 UTC 2010

Greg has a long, unmitigated and unambiguous record of trolling,
spamming, harassment, and abuse. Revoking his access to WMF resources
in yet another instance was entirely correct and appropriate, although
arguably it should have happened much sooner and more consistently. As
Fred pointed out here just a few days ago, most recently, Greg openly
solicited bids from "web manipulators" whom he intends to pay to post
pre-written negative comments to news stories about Wikipedia, with a
very clearly stated motive to drive traffic to his revenue-generating
sites.

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2010-October/061616.html

Thanks to the list mods for making the call. I appreciate that people
seek for our organization and our projects to aspire to such a high
standard of ethical behavior that even clearly unethical and
profit-driven behavior and trolling is seen by some to fall within the
tolerable norm, as long as it occasionally draws attention to issues
that may merit discussion, no matter how much time and energy is
wasted, and how much shit is thrown. That's not a principle that has
ever applied to Wikimedia projects, however. If you miss Greg, you
know where to find him, and I'm sure he'll return here frequently with
throwaway email accounts as well.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation