[Foundation-l] Liu Xiaobo

Robert S. Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Oct 9 03:07:51 UTC 2010

On 10/08/2010 08:07 PM, Ryan Lomonaco wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Noein<pronoein at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> I think it is not fair to censor Peter and then still talk about him and
>> what he said. One or the other can be justified (and should be), but not
>> both at the same time.
>>

> While Peter's intent surely was not to offend, his comments were
> inarticulate, and his comparison is offensive.  As such, moderation is
> appropriate.  That said, if he has something civil to add to this or any
> other conversation - including responses to others in this thread - his
> comments will of course be approved in short order.
>
> That said, I think this conversation is going nowhere fast.  If there are
> widespread cases of Wikimedia users being treated unfairly within a
> community, let them come forward.  But in doing so, let's try to avoid
> hyperbole.

I want to get something clear here, however:  Is Liu Xiaobo a Wikimedia
user and is it possible that he has been banned from zh.wikipedia?  If
so, that is something legitimate to discuss here and continue this
thread.  Certainly people of his stature have participated with editing
Wikipedia in some capacity or another. Otherwise, this indeed was an
inflammatory remark being made here.  The moderation certainly is
reasonable.  Heck, I've been banned from other forums for stuff far less
caustic than this and Peter hasn't even really been banned here.

- Robert Horning

-- Robert Horning