[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 22:53:34 UTC 2010

On 2 October 2010 22:21, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think that is a misunderstanding that operated at the time as well. This is not about having to chew your way through all the available scholarly literature before you are allowed to start the article "canal".
>
> It is about checking if there *is* any scholarly literature out there. And accessing and using that as you grow the article.

So 30 seconds British library catalog search then forget about it.

> This is even more important when you start working on an article that has already existed for a number of years, and that other >editors have built up to C-Class, or whatever.  Before you jump in and rewrite the whole thing, you should check the sources that are >already cited, and check what scholarly sources are out there: authoritative sources that have been cited by many other authors, but >still haven't made it into the article.

Which means that unless you happen to live with a library that
includes a bunch of naval history or are prepared to spend a non
trivial amount of money you can't edit say [[HMS Argus (I49)]] (which
cites Warship 1994). You appear to be missing the point that wikipedia
is a collaboration.

--
geni