[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 21:21:12 UTC 2010

> Putting in place what are effectively featured article
> standards would
> for starting new articles would be a great way of killing
> the project
> if it was remotely enforceable.
>
> Worse still articles like [[Canal]] would be effectively
> unrwritable
> by anyone. Since there is not going to be anyone aware of
> all the
> worldwide scholarly literature on the topic.
>
> [[Canals of the United Kingdom]] would probably be
> impossible since
> even Charles Hadfield needed help with his The Canals of
> North West
> England book.

I think that is a misunderstanding that operated at the time as well. This is not about having to chew your way through all the available scholarly literature before you are allowed to start the article "canal".

It is about checking if there *is* any scholarly literature out there. And accessing and using that as you grow the article.

This is even more important when you start working on an article that has already existed for a number of years, and that other editors have built up to C-Class, or whatever.  Before you jump in and rewrite the whole thing, you should check the sources that are already cited, and check what scholarly sources are out there: authoritative sources that have been cited by many other authors, but still haven't made it into the article.

It is not unusual to find articles that are 5 years old and still don't cite a single scholarly source, even though there are plenty of scholarly sources out there.

Andreas