[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005? How is it in other language projects?

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 19:54:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 21:08, Michael Snow <wikipedia at frontier.com> wrote:
>  On 10/2/2010 8:59 AM, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>> I do believe the fact that there is less of a culture of scholarly source research in en:WP, and a preference of press sources over scholarly sources, especially in the humanities, impacts very negatively on en:WP's performance in this area.
> I believe this is twin to the common problem in English Wikipedia
> culture of an inappropriate bias against sources that are not written in
> English, or not readily findable online (and often both apply). Given
> that English is much more of a lingua franca in the sciences than in
> other disciplines, it should not be surprising if this leads to inferior
> coverage in the humanities.

I would say that the roots of the problem lay in the bias of the
methods of humanities rather than in something inherent to Wikipedia.
Unlike in science, just [not all] top scholars in humanities have
enough exact methodology. The rest are using various types of
mystification to support their own myths. And building knowledge
database in open and collaborative manner is mostly in collision with
their interests.