[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 2 09:56:23 UTC 2010

> The question of which ones of the list philosophers will 'balk at' is
> quite
> different from the question of 'what would work' i.e. what would improve
> the
> content.  Answer: none of them. They are all eminently sensible and
> desirable.  On citation I can remember getting this drummed into me as
> part
> of my elementary philosophical training some years ago.
>
> Now: why haven't they worked?
>
> Peter

To avoid any confusion here, my point was that:

1.  None of the items on this list
http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1000941
would be balked at by philosophers.  Philosophers already address most of
these basic principles in their own work.

2. Equally, none of them, singly or collectively, would in my view address
the problem of why philosophy is such a problem in Wikipedia.   Philosophers
already address most of these basic principles in their own work, and they
apply them on Wikipedia.  They haven't worked.  Philosophy is worse now than
in 2005 (2007at the latest).