[Foundation-l] A question for American Wikimedians

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:56:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 15:47, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> If there were any demand for it, which there is not, a nationalist
> "African-American" wikipedia would be acceptable, however it could not be
> based on language differences.  However, I doubt that would be acceptable
> to either Wikipedians generally or to any part of the African-American
> community. That, after all, is segregation and paternalism.

Language differences exist and they are consistent among the African
American population. The origin of differences are creole language(s),
probably of Portuguese origin (with West African substrate, of
course), used in Caribbean. However, this is probably not enough for a
separate ISO 639-3 code, while the differences toward Standard English
are probably bigger than differences between Serbian, Croatian,
Bosnian and Montenegrin.

> I think we could, in the relevant articles, insure that the
> African-American viewpoint as disclosed by the African-American press and
> in published books and journals is included.
>
> And an effort can be made to improve articles in the Categories:
> African-American culture | African American literature | African American
> studies and develop and improve the Portal:African American and articles
> and issues linked from it.

I suppose that it could help up to some extent. However, we have at
least one -- already identified or not -- big systemic problem. And it
looks to me that it is not connected exclusively to African Americans.