[Foundation-l] A question for American Wikimedians

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Thu Nov 18 14:47:58 UTC 2010

There seems to be nothing on Wikia, Black wiki is "about Criterion's
video game Black". Black Books wiki is about "BAEFTA award-wining sitcom,
Black Books." Nothing about African-American.

You're on to a real problem, which by the way, as should be obvious,
Americans don't know how to deal with or successfully ameliorate. As you
can see from this thread, denial is the usual defensive response which
serves to avoid the kind of detailed serious discussion you are
proposing.

If there were any demand for it, which there is not, a nationalist
"African-American" wikipedia would be acceptable, however it could not be
based on language differences.  However, I doubt that would be acceptable
to either Wikipedians generally or to any part of the African-American
community. That, after all, is segregation and paternalism.

I think we could, in the relevant articles, insure that the
African-American viewpoint as disclosed by the African-American press and
in published books and journals is included.

And an effort can be made to improve articles in the Categories:
African-American culture | African American literature | African American
studies and develop and improve the Portal:African American and articles
and issues linked from it.

Fred Bauder