[Foundation-l] Funding Sources of Medical Research, was Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing...

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Nov 9 04:33:22 UTC 2010

> Most journals do make their abstracts visible, so if funding is
> included there, one can see it without logging in.
>
> But there are two  serious ethical problems, one of them is what
> people who are funded by a commercial or POV entity do incorrectly
> because of that funding.
> The worse is the concealment of one's funding in order to avoid
> suspicion of the bias.
>
> Everything that is done incorrectly because of funding is also done by
> those who have an intellectual  or emotional stake in the outcome

Yes, and that's where we fall down. Many of us are editors with purpose.
They many be noble purposes, but often we ourselves have an agenda, of
some sort, even if only to highlight neglected truths.

Somehow though, the evil of exposing the gulag pales beside the evil of
selling drugs with serious unreported side effects.

Fred