[Foundation-l] No, even a couple of Google ads on each page would be a fatally bad idea

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Nov 7 16:21:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 November 2010 16:05, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The click-through rate would be tiny and therefore so would the revenue.
>>
>> I would think the click-through rate would be above-average.  People
>> who want ads are more likely to click on those ads (also less likely
>> to be using ad-blocking software).
>
> They won't be people that want ads, though. They'll be people that
> want ad revenue for us. If they click, they'll be clicking to get us
> revenue and not actually buying, which advertisers stopped falling for
> years ago.

1) Why the huge assumption of bad faith?  I don't think you're correct
that people would sign up for ads who don't want ads.  As you
correctly point out, there would actually be no long-term benefit to
anyone for doing so.
2) If the payment isn't per click, why would people click through "to
get us revenue"?