[Foundation-l] Flagged Protection update for May 27

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri May 28 05:32:56 UTC 2010

As requested, here's the weekly Flagged Protection update.

The loose-end tidying and rollout prep proceeds apace. This week's
rollout prep includes preparing for an emergency rollback, something
that we don't expect will be necessary but for which we nonetheless need
to be ready.

We've been working diligently on the text, which is a key component of
the user interface. You can see the enwiki-specific parts of that here:

http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Message_updates

As part of that text work, we are also, as readers of these lists know,
considering changing the name of the English Wikipedia deployment from
Flagged Protection to something more easily comprehended by the general
public. If you'd like to weigh in on the many options, here's the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Flagged_protection_and_patrolled_revisions/Terminology

The main thing standing between us and being able to give a release date
is some trouble with part of the UI. If you're a HTML & CSS guru, we
could use your help:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2010-May/047916.html

We also fixed a bug this week. Thanks to Sonia, who found and reported
that bug. Want to emulate her? Start here:

http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

To see the upcoming work, it's listed in our tracker, under Current and
Backlog:

http://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/46157

We expect to release to labs again next week, and each week thereafter
until this goes live on the English Wikipedia.

William