[Foundation-l] Legal requirements for sexual content -- help, please!

Still Waterising stillwaterising at gmail.com
Sat May 22 03:06:33 UTC 2010

I was just about to post that same section.
 From 2257(h)(2)(B)) exception to record keeping:
(v) the transmission, storage, retrieval, hosting, formatting, or
translation (or any combination thereof) of a communication, without
selection or alteration of the content of the communication, except
that deletion of a particular communication or material made by
another person in a manner consistent with section 230(c) of the
Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 230 (c)) shall not constitute
such selection or alteration of the content of the communication;

What I would define as "communication" is the image page created by
the logged in user. That user created to page, selected and uploaded
(inserted) the image onto Wikimedia's servers. That person could be
viewed as a primary (if own image) or secondary (if transferred image)
producer. These individuals need to follow 18 USC 2257 record keeping
guidelines.

 From there, volunteers (like myself) tag, categorize the page, and
start Deletion Requests (likely acceptacle under the Good Samaritan
clauses of (47 U.S.C. 230 (c)).

However, when that image is selected for reuse (and not in an
automated way, but by an actual human) on an article page, user page,
or off-wiki that person also becomes a secondary producer.

2257B(g) simply refers to 2257(h) above, so I'm not sure why Mike even
mentioned it.

(g) As used in this section, the terms “produces” and
“performer” have the same meaning as in section 2257 (h) of this
title.