[Foundation-l] Legal requirements for sexual content -- help, please!

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Fri May 21 22:54:08 UTC 2010

 The foundation does not "own and operate" the site in the way that Fox news owns and operates their site.
The foundation merely ensures that the site operates, functions, runs.
It does not edit the contents of the site.  That is the fundamental flaw in this argument.
I really doubt that we are "promoting" the Foundation.  I think we are "promoting" (if anything) the contents of the site, which contents are created, edited, loaded by the community.  It is the uploader who is responsible for any legal issue regarding what they have uploaded.  Not the foundation.

That is how the Wikimedia sites differ from a typical site.
In the same way, Facebook is not legally responsible for some member uploaded nude pictures of their ex-boyfriend to their page.
The user doing the uploading is responsible.

<<That in essence is the problem. A whole bunch of people promote
something called Wikimedia Foundation which says it owns and operates a
number of sites.

http://www.wikimedia.org/

and when anything controversial happens, whenever any one comes
knocking, everyone runs for a bolt hole, or looks shifty and muttering
"we got nuffin to do with it".

Its a tactic that allows Faux News to cast the Foundation as
irresponsible jerks.>>