[Foundation-l] Legal requirements for sexual content -- help, please!

Stillwater Rising stillwaterising at gmail.com
Thu May 20 05:03:24 UTC 2010

The list of advantages for helping uploaders (producers) to comply with USC
2257 record-keeping guidelines are numerous, and was the core part of my
April 2010 sexual content proposal. To clarify, I did not then and still do
not believe OTRS should be directly handing Personally Identifying
Information (PII) for sexual content, but should have a way of verifying
that it exists by at least keeping on file the name and address of the
individual(s) who are keeping the records. Mr. Sabol (below) thought that
Wikimedia should be setting an example of how educational institutions can
handle this issue responsibly.

In my opinion, the advantages of obtaining this information far outweigh
potential disadvantages. I've listed the advantages in multiple places, so
I'll just give a link to the latest discussion
here<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Sexual_content#The_Case_for_Using_USC_2257_on_Wikimedia_Projects>
.

The unfortunate part is that there's no support for this idea from the legal
council, in fact Mike Godwin's statements seem to indicate that we should
not be concerned with these records at all. This is unfortunate, because
there is no clear exemption for non-commercial or educational websites.