[Foundation-l] drive-by site updates

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sun May 16 12:06:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 14:57, Andrew Garrett <agarrett at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> > The people who decided to enable without any proper testing and announcement
> > the collapsible sidebar that hides interlanguage links, the search box that
> > can't search and the new Wikipedia logo which nearly everybody hates -
> > please don't do this again.
>
> I'll feed.
>
> Those people happen to be five or six talented developers who've spent
> a year and a half developing and testing a more useful, usable
> interface for our project. They've spent the last few days chasing
> obscure bugs and connecting with the community on other issues; if
> there are problems with this rollout, they're certainly not because of
> "drive-by site updates".

The roll-out of Vector, in general, is not a "drive-by update". It was
introduced a few months before. It's not perfect, but at least it's
not too surprising.

But the introduction of the new search box that practically can't
search, was not part of the beta and it was a complete surprise. Am i
badly mistaken?

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni