[Foundation-l] drive-by site updates

Andrew Garrett agarrett at wikimedia.org
Sun May 16 11:57:06 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> The people who decided to enable without any proper testing and announcement
> the collapsible sidebar that hides interlanguage links, the search box that
> can't search and the new Wikipedia logo which nearly everybody hates -
> please don't do this again.

I'll feed.

Those people happen to be five or six talented developers who've spent
a year and a half developing and testing a more useful, usable
interface for our project. They've spent the last few days chasing
obscure bugs and connecting with the community on other issues; if
there are problems with this rollout, they're certainly not because of
"drive-by site updates".

Perhaps this thread should be titled "drive-by complaints" — you've
made little attempt to understand and engage with people who have been
working their asses off to bring Wikipedia a better user experience.
No software rollout is ever perfect, and there are perhaps
improvements to make, but your post is thoroughly unconstructive and
entirely devoid of substance.

If you have bugs to report, report them properly, with more useful
details and less attitude (Hint: name the component that's failing,
the steps you took, what you expected to happen, and what actually
happened). If you have constructive feedback on the rollout process,
engage with the already-ongoing discussion on this mailing list, first
reading the existing posts to check that your comments haven't been
made already.

If you simply enjoy writing unhelpful and toxic comments about other
people's work, then I suggest you refrain from sending them, or send
them to somebody else.

--
Andrew Garrett
http://werdn.us/