[Foundation-l] Legal requirements for sexual content -- help, please!

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sat May 15 07:11:18 UTC 2010

Another great post.

You are right: this is a separate issue from the original censorship/content filtering debate, but it is an important issue that the proposed "Sexual content" policy on Commons should address.

Recapping some thoughts around this:

*No image showing an actual living person engaged in sexually explicit conduct should be uploaded (or kept on Commons) without that person's consent. Some people will definitely ''not'' be fine with a former partner or someone they only briefly met uploading images of a sexual encounter. If done without consent, this is analogous to a BLP violation ("Do no harm").

*Some sexually explicit images show faces, others do not. It is tempting to say that we should only need OTRS consent for images where a person is identifiable, and that consent does not matter for images where people's genitals are shown from behind, in close-up, or their face is out of shot.

*However, there are obvious risks in yielding to that temptation. A person whose image was uploaded without their consent will still be harmed if the uploader tells everyone, "Look, I uploaded an image of so-and-so's genitals, and this is the URL".

*Some people may be fine with, or enjoy, having a picture of their genitals uploaded, or a picture of them engaged in sexually explicit conduct, but they may at the same time be reluctant to mail OTRS with their real-life name and e-mail address saying, "The person demonstrating oral sex in that picture is me, and I am fine with that picture being on Commons".

*So by requiring people to mail their consent to OTRS, we may be reducing the number of valuable sexually explicit images we get, as well as reducing potential harm.

*It is impossible to verify that the person sending the OTRS mail is actually the person shown in the picture. It is apparently not unheard of for people to have lied because they wanted an image to remain on Commons.

*All of this is much less of a problem with professional porn actors. We have some professionals who contribute their images to Commons, and I am beginning to think this is something to be encouraged.

*Obviously, such material needs vetting for educational value (to avoid Commons being used for self-promotion), but many of the above problems disappear with professionals -- professionals in this field are by definition fine with images of themselves engaged in sexually explicit conduct being publicly available, and are also used to complying with all the relevant record keeping requirements. I've even wondered if we should do an outreach to the industry.

*This does not just apply to sexually explicit images. It also applies to nudity.

If you have further ideas or input, the topic is currently being discussed here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Sexual_content#Consent_clarification

Andreas