[Foundation-l] Along with Vector, a new look for changes to the Wikipedia identity

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu May 13 19:07:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Kalan <kalan.001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 22:44, Jay Walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> We've seen a lot of comments about the size of the puzzle globe, and I don't disagree that it might benefit from being increased in size slightly.  I feel this might also affect the overall contrast and definition.  The whole usability team is collecting feedback on this, and part of that is the overall shape and size of the identity.
>
> As demonstrated at
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:VPT#New_logo>, simply resizing
> and re-contrasting doesn’t help much: the shape is still poor. So this
> is what should be focused IMO; apparently making the logo as similar
> to older one as possible should be the goal.

This comment on the wiki seemed especially relevant:

"I just want to chime in on the new logo. The previous logo, which I
created, was certainly not without its flaws, but the new logo suffers
greatly on an aesthetic level: it is too small, the anti-aliasing is
very low quality, and most importantly, the sense of texture created
by the edges of the pieces is completely lost. Finally, I am rather
disappointed I was not included in the process to revamp the logo. No
attempt was made to reach out to me to let me know this process was
even being undertaken. Very poor job on all accounts. nohat  (talk)
18:05, 13 May 2010 (UTC)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:VPT#New_logo