[Foundation-l] Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 10 18:18:46 UTC 2010

On 10 May 2010 19:14, Noein <pronoein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand exactly your thoughts. What happens to someone who
> wants to navigate Wikipedia or use Commons but doesn't want to reach
> offending (according to his/her personal sensibility) pages? If this
> person wants a protecting tool, what is your answer? You give me the
> impression that you're saying: ignore him, let's let him be offended.
> In this case even if you're think you're right theoretically, you're
> alienating part of humanity from the big project that is reaching them
> all. Creating negligently a strong feeling of rejection with a few month
> of obliviousness to their culture can take dozen of years to repair. I
> don't think the topic should be solved so lighly and bluntly. But maybe
> I'm misunderstanding you.

Create a tool (e.g. a JavaScript gadget) that allows a logged-in user
to block images from Commons or local categories they don't want to
see images from. Then it's each individual's discretion as to what
they want not to see, and uses the existing category systems. Popular
unpopular categories can be offered as a package.

- d.