[Foundation-l] Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening

Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva tolkiendili at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:56:57 UTC 2010

2010/5/10 Marcus Buck <me at marcusbuck.org>:
> J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov hett schreven:
>> I have a problem with basing it on IP addresses. As a non Muslim in a Muslim
>> country, why should Wikimedia decide that *I* cannot see Muhammad pictures
>> but that it is perfectly OK to show it to a Muslim in Germany / France
>> wherever. I think the world has moved on a bit from the one country, one
>> religion / set of values / morals.
>>

> You are of course right. But what is the alternative? The only
> alternative is not basing it on location so everybody sees the same.
> That's like "one world, one set of values".

The alternative is to not censor, in any circumstance, to any kind of
audience whatsoever. I must confess I find this particular alternative
brilliant.

It is imperfect, as any other form of freedom of thought and
expression. But other options are more imperfect, not less, in my
opinion.

I think some projects (like the English Wikipedia) already reached
consensus on this issue.

--
Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva <tolkiendili at gmail.com>