[Foundation-l] Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening

J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov alexandrdmitriromanov at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:52:13 UTC 2010

2010/5/10 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:17 AM, J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov
> <alexandrdmitriromanov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a problem with basing it on IP addresses. As a non Muslim in a
> Muslim
> > country, why should Wikimedia decide that *I* cannot see Muhammad
> pictures
> > but that it is perfectly OK to show it to a Muslim in Germany / France
> > wherever. I think the world has moved on a bit from the one country, one
> > religion / set of values / morals.
>
> You didn't read it well or I didn't explain it well. I should be just
> default, like Google image search.
>
> You would be able to override it by:
> * logging into your account; or
> * by simply clicking somewhere that you don't want to be censored.
>
> The only level of censorship which should be imposed on cultural basis
> is "default censorship". That means that just defaults should be in
> accordance to the majority's taboos. However, everyone should be able
> to switch from censored version to not censored version.
>

> Apologies, due to email saturation I quite missed "In all cases there has
to be possibility to
overrule such censorship by simple click or by preferences."

That said, the idea of the majority voting for a region doesn't sit well
with me. Muslims account for approximately 6% of the population in France
and it's a lose-lose situation: either the minority manages to prevail
(unlikely) and hence the majority would be subject to a minority POV or the
majority prevails (likely given Wikidemographics) and the minority is
suppressed.

If censorship were only implemented at the user's request (opt-in) then I
would have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever.

AD

AD