[Foundation-l] Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening

J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov alexandrdmitriromanov at gmail.com
Mon May 10 09:17:31 UTC 2010

2010/5/10 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>

> <snip>
> 3) We should allow voluntary/default censorship on cultural basis, as
> the most of our readers are not registered. (Based on IP address of
> reader. Thus, pictures of Muhammad should be shown by default for
> someone from Germany, but shouldn't be shown by default to someone
> from Saudi Arabia. In all cases there has to be possibility to
> overrule such censorship by simple click or by preferences.)
> </snip>

I have a problem with basing it on IP addresses. As a non Muslim in a Muslim
country, why should Wikimedia decide that *I* cannot see Muhammad pictures
but that it is perfectly OK to show it to a Muslim in Germany / France
wherever. I think the world has moved on a bit from the one country, one
religion / set of values / morals.

AD