[Foundation-l] Potential ICRA labels for Wikipedia

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon May 10 00:51:49 UTC 2010

I can   think of other concerns.

The main one is that of our competence to form judgements. On some
things we can: though nudity would seem something obvious, deciding on
the various degrees of it is not: I do not think we are likely to
agree on whether any particular nude image is primarily sexual,m or
primarily non-sexual. If we tried to be precise, we would degenerate
towards a situation like some legal codes which state exactly what
portions of a female breast may be displayed in a particular context,
or in just what way something must be covered to make it non-nude.

Further, though I consider it essential that Commons should include
appropriately educational sexual and even pornographic   content, I do
not think it should concentrate on that; important though education
about human sexuality is, there are other things to educate about
also, many just as much dependent upon images. A project to minutely
categorize pages on sexuality would concentrate much of the volunteer
effort on this portion of the contents.   We need some editors who
want to work on this field primarily, but we do not need everybody.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.