[Foundation-l] Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening

Sue Gardner susanpgardner at gmail.com
Sun May 9 23:04:18 UTC 2010

Yeah, Pryzkuta, I know there are lots of debates happening everywhere; that's a good thing --- obviously talking about all this stuff is good, and people should use whatever mechanisms work for them. All the discussions are good, and everybody is bringing useful stuff to the table.

Re Jimmy, my understanding is that he has voluntarily relinquished the ability to act globally and unlilaterally, in an attempt to bring closure to that thread of discussion, because he thinks it's a distraction from the main conversation.  Which is, the projects contain, and have contained, material which many people (different groups, for different reasons) find objectionable. The main question at hand is: what, if anything, should be done about the inclusion in the projects of potentially objectionable material.  Should we provide warnings about potentially objectionable material, should we make it easy for people to have a "safe" view if they want it, should we make a "safe" view a default view, and so forth.

My view is that Jimmy and others have brought closure to the "scope of Jimmy's authority" question. In saying that, I don't mean to diminish the importance of that question -- I realize that many people are angry about what's happened over the past week, and it will take time for them to be less angry.   But I think Jimmy's goal --which I support-- is to enable people to now move on to have the more important conversation, about how to resolve the question of objectionable material.

To recap: it's a big conversation, and it's happening in lots of places. That may need to happen for a while. I would like to see us move into a synthesis phase, where we start talking in a focused way, in a few places, about what we should do to resolve the question of objectionable material.  I think the thread by Derk-Jan is a step towards that.  But it may be that we're not ready to move into a synthesis phase yet: people may still need to vent and brainstorm and so forth, for a while.

Thanks,
Sue