[Foundation-l] Potential ICRA labels for Wikipedia

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sun May 9 20:17:31 UTC 2010

Greg Maxwell writes:

At the same time, and I think we'll hear a similar message from the
> EFF and the ALA,  I am opposed to these organized "content labelling
> systems".  These systems are primary censorship systems and are
> overwhelmingly used to subject third parties, often adults, to
> restrictions against their will. I'm sure these groups will gladly
> confirm this for us, regardless of the sales patter used to sell these
> systems to content providers and politicians.

I just want to chime in, in support of Greg's assessment here. I worked for
EFF for nine years, and I have done extensive work with ALA as well, and I
am absolutely certain that these organizations (and others, including
civil-liberties groups) will be extremely critical if any project adopts
ICRA labeling schemes. Moreover, Greg's characterization of the existing
systems as "primary censorship systems ... overwhelmingly used to subject
third parties, often adults, to restrictions against their will" is entirely
accurate.

--Mike