[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun May 9 14:13:39 UTC 2010

Andrew Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wedrna, later:
>>
>>> The *ONLY* rating and classification system that I can support
>>> is a descriptive one. That is, it describes the nature of the
>>> content, and allows humans or computers to filter it accordingly.
>>> The infrastructure would be technically simple.
>>>
>> Yes.  Our categorization system already exists and should suffice.
>>

> To be specific, the technical infrastructure would involve parser
> functions which can apply ICRA tags to images, and can pass them
> through to the articles in question. It could be implemented with
> parser functions and the page_props table in an afternoon, taking no
> more than a week to tweak and review.
>
> If you want this functionality, you should look at implementing it, or
> you should lobby the Foundation to support it with staff developer
> time.

Is there really a presumption that after straining at
a mouse -- trivial and clearly temporary -- limitations
of Jimbo's technical powers, with great gusto and
grand drama; the wikimedian community will kneel
down and swallow an elephant.

Content labeling is *HUGE*, much much much huger
than a temporary and correctible loss of a few files,
and a mild rebuke that Jimbo can live down and
rise from the ashes again, after a suitable time.

I will also state for the record that content labeling
is a bad bad bad idea.

Where on wiki have you set up a page consulting
the community on whether we want this humongous
change, so that I can go and voice my opposition?

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen