[Foundation-l] Board members positions toward Jimmy's last action

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sun May 9 12:26:00 UTC 2010

<
>> The Board does not support this - although individuals may -  it
>> is not the role of the Board or the Foundation to get involved
>> with project policy or content discussions.
>
> The board members that have bothered speaking up have so far supported
> it. Ting has expressly endorsed Board control over project content.

They are still speaking as individuals - and were mainly commenting on
whether they thought it was appropriate for Jimmy to spur a policy
discussion as a community member.  Please do not confuse personal
opinions - including my own - for a stance of the Board.

Our mandate as a Board explicitly precludes meddling in Project
policy, community disputes, and the like.
  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_member

And the Board has always taken care in its official statements not to
suggest it is directing project policy or content, except where -- as
with the 2007 licensing policy -- this is the explicit intent, and the
policy change crafted after extensive discussion with the Projects.

>> As to a way forward -- it is (as ever) up to the Commons
>> community to work out what its policies are to be, with Jimmy
>> if they are willing.  I encourage those who feel strongly about
>> these issues to engage directly in discussions there.
>
> The overriding question will be the editorial role of the board.

The Board has no editorial role, on Commons or on any other Project,
unless you consider high-level goal-setting and prioritization ( like
http://j.mp/wmfblp ) editorial.

SJ