[Foundation-l] Board members positions toward Jimmy's last action

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun May 9 10:23:05 UTC 2010

On 9 May 2010 07:30, Samuel J Klein <sj at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's board members directly asserting control over content. Of
>> course it's a major issue.

> Perish the thought.  The Board is not controlling content - I would
> oppose any Board action that did so.

You seem to be saying "what you saw happening did not in fact happen."
You'll appreciate I find this difficult to go along with.

> Phoebe writes:
>> I'm not sure that's how I'd frame it. The board statement
>> seemed pretty clear; reaffirming existing policy. I guess it
>> depends a bit on what capacity you think Jimmy was acting in;
>
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote;
>> I find it shocking that the board has chosen to explicitly support
>> this 'wild west' approach.

> The Board does not support this - although individuals may -  it is
> not the role of the Board or the Foundation to get involved with
> project policy or content discussions.  Jimmy represents himself when
> he contributes to the projects.

The board members that have bothered speaking up have so far supported
it. Ting has expressly endorsed Board control over project content.

Again, you're telling me that what I saw happening, and what I saw
people saying, was not what was happening or what people were saying.
Again, you'll appreciate I find this difficult to go along with.

> I hope that noone in the Commons community feels threatened or unable
> to speak their mind (or to exercise their administrative abilities in
> carrying out their work).

I think it will take considerable work to make that hope come true,
given the actions so far.

> As to a way forward -- it is (as ever) up to the Commons community to
> work out what its policies are to be, with Jimmy if they are willing.
> I encourage those who feel strongly about these issues to engage
> directly in discussions there.

The overriding question will be the editorial role of the board.

- d.