[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat May 8 14:01:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Andrew Garrett <agarrett at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> > This isn't an ideal situation. We should have a situation in which
> > Jimmy's technical power derives from the authority of the board of
> > trustees or from a community mandate, or we should have a situation in
> > which Jimmy does not have unlimited technical power.
>
> I don't think this is a technical issue at all.   Considering how
> flexible and reversible wiki-actions are, it seems eminently
> appropriate to me for the project founder to have 'unlimited technical
> power' on the projects -- just as you and all of our developers do, at
> a much higher level.

For what purpose?  The purpose for which the developers have this "technical
power" is obvious - they can't possibly do their work without it.  With
Wales, it's a power with no explicit purpose other than anachronistic
deference.

English Wikipedia has addressed this fluidly over the years:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Role_of_Jimmy_Wales

So long as the power of the founder flag includes control over that very
page, anything written on that page can't possibly be taken seriously.

(BTW, shouldn't Larry Sanger have a founder flag too?)