[Foundation-l] Statement on appropriate educational content

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Sat May 8 10:34:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 05:30:09PM -0700, Sue Gardner wrote:
> On 7 May 2010 16:07, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 12:30:18PM -0700, Michael Snow wrote:
> >> announce-l still has issues. The Board of Trustees has directed me to
> >> release the following statement:
> >>

> > Just to be sure:
> > Are there no other statements that have been made by the board
> > or are being planned to be made by the board on this subject?
> >
> > sincerly,
> > ?? ?? ?? ??Kim Bruning
>
> Kim, the board (and I) have been talking about this for the past
> couple of days, and we'll continue to talk about it over the next
> couple of weeks.  I think it's fairly likely there will be some kind
> of statement or statements at the end of that.  I'm expecting that
> over the next few weeks, we all will be paying attention to the
> conversations on Commons and elsewhere, including here.

That establishes that Jimbo currently has board approval
for a "scrutinize things more carefully in line with policy" approach
to commons; but he does not appear to have approval for his current
"delete everything without discussion" approach.

This is the same on the community side: Scrutinizing is ok,
expedited consultation would be acceptable;
but speedy deleting without understanding or taking into account
technical, functional, social and political remifications is not.

In other words: Jimbo Wales currently appears to be operating
on commons in a manner that is outside the frame set by
WMF+Communities+Himself.

In such a situation, a wise man will stop and negotiate a more
appropriate frame before he continues. [1]

As of last night, there was still room for negotiation, let's
hope cooler heads prevail. :-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

[1] It's BRD writ large, essentially.

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72