[Foundation-l] MMORPG and Wikimedia

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Fri May 7 02:17:50 UTC 2010

The obvious example that comes to mind is the 3D virtual world physics as a tool for disseminating knowledge. For instance, I was looking up various model Porsche race cars the other day on Wikipedia. No amount of text can truly describe the intangible differences in control between driving a Porsche and a Ferrari. If one could go into a virtual world and drive a virtual representation of one, we've filled a knowledge gap.

Don't get hung up on the fact that this (used) to be a game, but rather view it as an open source 3D virtual world environment that can scale to an extremely large number of simultaneous users. It's a framework, which can be evolved over time -- that's something we should at least be keeping an eye on and encouraging, while exploring what ways we can integrate our content.

-Dan