[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 31 16:56:42 UTC 2010

2010/3/31 Petr Kadlec <petr.kadlec at gmail.com>:
> On 31 March 2010 04:28, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> I'll note that the licensing policy passed by the Wikimedia Foundation
>> Board of Trustees (
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy )
>> specifically permits project communities to develop exemptions, with
>> logos being listed as an example.
>
> So are you saying that a Wikipedia community is allowed to develop an
> EDP saying that _logos_ received from 3rd party owners under, say,
> CC-BY-ND [and possibly even -NC, but let's not get to the problems
> with that] are acceptable? I was told that this is not correct and the
> resolution allows only for EDP recognizing copyright limitations
> existing in national copyright laws (even though I do not see this in
> the resolution text).

No, EDPs do indeed have to be grounded in "the limitations of
copyright law (including case law) as applicable to the project". But
an EDP which recognizes those limitations only for logos of
organizations whose trademark policies explicitly acknowledge
reasonable uses of their marks within the confines of those
limitations (as the WMF trademark policy does) would be acceptable, as
would be one which recognizes them only for WMF's logos (for all the
reasons that have already been given to make such an exception).
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation