[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 01:10:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Cunctator writes:
>

>> No, this is a profoundly stupid decision that has no logical sense. A
>> "free"
>> license is a copyright license.
>>

> The point bears repeating (over and over again, if necessary).  The free
> licenses we use are in fact quite demanding with regard to downstream uses.
> And our purpose in protecting the Wikimedia trademarks is partly to make
> sure that downstream reusers stick to the free licenses under which we
> distribute free content.

Most companies have a justification to use copyright to protect their
logo.  WMF's justification is to promote free content.  But that
doesn't make the logos free content.

If I understand correctly, Sv.Wp is applying the same standard to
Wikimedia logos as they apply to any other logo.

> By the way, check out <http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo>.  I hope no one
> thinks Swedish Wikipedians (or anyone else) is free to reuse the Volvo logo
> without a license.

That image is in the PD as it does not meet the threshold of
originality.  Why do they do not need a license?

--
John Vandenberg