[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 00:55:40 UTC 2010

The Cunctator writes:

> No, this is a profoundly stupid decision that has no logical sense. A
> "free"
> license is a copyright license.

The point bears repeating (over and over again, if necessary).  The free
licenses we use are in fact quite demanding with regard to downstream uses.
And our purpose in protecting the Wikimedia trademarks is partly to make
sure that downstream reusers stick to the free licenses under which we
distribute free content.

By the way, check out <http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo>.  I hope no one
thinks Swedish Wikipedians (or anyone else) is free to reuse the Volvo logo
without a license.

--Mike