[Foundation-l] Call for Wikimania Scholarship Applications

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Sat Mar 27 19:14:26 UTC 2010

Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

>> No, I am not confising anything :-). All EU countries citzens can
>> enter Poland using their EU ID. They cross the same gates on airports
>> as people from Shengen zone. The only diffrence is that non-Shengen
>> countries' members are subject to diffrent custom regulations and they
>> can be examined by custom officers. It also apply to EEA countries
>> ((Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and based on separate treaty also
>> Switzerland.

> I think you are confusing things... I am a British citizen and I'm
> fairly sure I need a passport to enter a Schengen zone country. Once
> I'm in a Schengen zone country, I think I can travel to another one
> with other ID, but I need a passport for the first Schengen country.

No, British citizens with an identity card can enter the EEA
and Switzerland without a passport in the same way that I as
a German citizen do not need a passport to enter the UK.

> The Schengen zone has absolutely nothing to do with customs, as far as
> I know. If you are travelling from an EU country to an EU country,
> there is basically not customs (you walk through the blue channel).

That's basically correct with some exceptions (Heligoland,
Ceuta/Melilla, the French départements d’outre-mer, etc.).

Tim