[Foundation-l] Call for Wikimania Scholarship Applications

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 09:10:52 UTC 2010

2010/3/26 Svip <svippy at gmail.com>:
> On 25 March 2010 20:50, Isabell Long <isabell121 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25 March 2010 19:48, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
>>>> I don't think there are any restrictions but then I am not overly
>>>> familiar with EU law.
>>> I guess you will not be able to fly without a certified permission of your
>>> parents/guardians. The same applies to crossing the borders (I assume you
>>> do not need visa to visit Poland).
>> If you're an EU citizen then you can travel freely between all
>> countries of the EU, supposedly.  And no, no flying without permission
>> of course, but I wouldn't go on my own anyway.  :)
> You are confusing the Schengen agreement with the trade regulations of
> the EU.  People within the Schengen agreement are allowed to travel
> without showing passport within that area (some EU nations are not
> part of it, e.g. the UK and some non-EU nations are part of it, e.g.
> Norway), while the reasoning for the EU posts at airports is due to
> customs rather than what ID you need to show.

No, I am not confising anything :-). All EU countries citzens can
enter Poland using their EU ID. They cross the same gates on airports
as people from Shengen zone. The only diffrence is that non-Shengen
countries' members are subject to diffrent custom regulations and they
can be examined by custom officers. It also apply to EEA countries
((Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and based on separate treaty also

In case of traveling by car or by train - there is no custom control
on the German and Czech border at all - but you problably need EU ID
or passport when entering Shengen zone in diffrent border.
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz

More information about the foundation-l mailing list