[Foundation-l] Fwd: Pt-Portuguese Wikipedia

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Wed Mar 24 23:37:02 UTC 2010

Mark,

A page in the Portuguese Wikipedia could shut out
the community at large. A bilingual page would be
very hard to pull off. As far as I can tell,
non-Portuguese discussions are not welcomed there.

I looked at Meta and saw no place for a page like
that. Could you be more specific?

That's why I brought the question to the list: I
really don't know where a discussion like that
could take place within the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Going back to my initial posting:

«Perhaps the question is not the creation of a
new version of Wikipedia, but to make the
Portuguese Wikipedia appealing to all readers and
writers (editors) of the Portuguese language.
There might be solutions and proposals to address
this problem which have been kept from seeing the
light of day, for untold reasons.

It might be worthwhile to open a page where the
discussion could be centralized.»

Like Chad pointed out, even within this
discussion, there have been posts suggesting
several helpful rules and technical approaches.
Solutions from different projects could be
brought together and would be available for all
those where they might be useful. This would make
the discussion less specific to the Portuguese
Wikipedia but more valuable to the Wikimedia
community. Even with that broader scope I don't
know where to start. If there's not already a
place like that, where would it appropriate to create one?

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado