[Foundation-l] Fwd: Pt-Portuguese Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 19:50:44 UTC 2010

Hoi,
To poor some cold water on this discussion. The language policy is quite
clear. There is no room for two Portuguese Wikipedias. When you are able to
convince the ISO 639-3 standard to make Portuguese a macro language it will
become different.

There have been languages that made that claim successfully and consequently
they become eligible for multiple Wikipedias. The Kurdish Wikipedia hosted
the Arabic scripted Sorani texts until it got its own Wikipedia.

So by all means discuss it, but from a language policy and committee point
of view, it will be a hard if not impossible case to argue to split the
pt.wikipedia at this time under the current conditions.
Thanks,
      GerardM